Saturday, June 28, 2014

two more finishes

Last week I finally pulled the proverbial finger out and finished off a small quilt that I started last year.  It was a Small Quilt Talk Challenge quilt - forget which month.  all I had to do was finish off appliqueing the bottom leaves on and then quilt it.  But now it is all done. 

I outlined around the border and the pot as well as around the flower.  Then I fmq'd a stipple in the white area and in the bottom pink floral area beside the pot.  I also did a couple of rows echoing the shape of the pot on the inside of it.
It's a bit hard to see, but here's a close up.....

I think it turned out ok.  Ok enough for me to then try the same fmq'ing on a larger quilt.

Here's a closer look at this one......

I did a medium stipple in all the white areas and then finished it off with a line around the inside of the black border, 2 lines down the middle of it, plus the binding turn over.  I took the excess baking and just folded it over to the front to make the 'binding'.

I must say I am really happy with the way this turned out.  Ok, I can pick fault with the quilting.  My machine didn't want to have nice tension and I broke a needle and then it kept coming unthreaded.  But I think for a first go at something like this I didn't too bad of a job.

It is being donated to Camberwell Showtime for them raffle off - either separately or as part of their silent auction night, so I hope they like it.  I used 2 different colours of grey - a light, a medium and a satin (that's the shiny stars in the pics).

The success of this gets me all inspired to drag out one of the many quilts-in-waiting and have a go on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message