Sunday, September 8, 2013

Aussie Hero Laundry Bags

Yesterday I sent of 2 boxes of laundry bags to Australian Defence Force personnel overseas prior to voting.  Got them all packed and the boxes all labelled and taped.......................

and then remembered I had not taken a photo of any of them. 

I wasn't about to cut into all the tape so I have no pics to show.  Bummer!

I will however have some pics of the next few bags that I have/am making. 

The quilt recipient (se previous post) is also to get a laundry bag.  The quilt takes up all the available space in the box so I have to send him another box with his bag in it.  I will also include some puzzle books, some tim tams, some coffee sachets, a lip balm (was about to say lip gloss) as well as 2 or 3 more bags.  That way he can choose which one he would like and hand the others over to those who don't already have one, or pass on to his group's chaplain to pass on. 

I hope that is acceptable and doesn't get me or him into trouble with the powers that be.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Aussie Hero Quilt

Ages ago I was sent some blocks to put together to make a quilt for Aussie Hero Quilts.  I'm talking like at the start of the year ages ago.

I have had one of these quilts sewn together and pinned up with wadding and backing for months too.

Well yesterday I finally got around to quilting and binding it.  It sat there for ages as I had no idea on how I wanted to quilt it and calisthenics stuff got in the way.  The coordinator didn't seem to be in a hurry for them - so I didn't hurry either.

This is it......

I know it's sideways - just tip your head over.

I did straight line quilting on my Brother machine from corner to corner on all the red, blue, brown large squares as well as on all the small squares.  I didn't do anything with the yellow rectangles.  Once I came up with this idea it went really quickly.  The binding went on easily too.  I machined sewn it on - even the folded over bit.  Usually I hand sew that bit down, but I decided not to with this one. 

The label they have to have had already been attached to the backing - now it has been quilted thru it.  This will make it harder to remove.

This quilt; and the other 2; were all sent to me by Jan-Maree.  They are selection of BOM's the AHQ group did and sent to her.  She asked for someone to help put them together - I volunteered.

None of the blocks are my sewing - all I did was sew the blocks together, quilt and bind it.

I hope the final recipient likes it.