Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Sewing for me

After spending months sewing for other people i feel it's time i did some sewing for myself.  I have some fabric I would like to use and an idea that I am going to give a go.

The idea is to sew each of the garments that the blogger of It's Always Autumn has made and put up patterns and tutorials for. She has t-shirts, long sleeve tees and a few different dresses that I quite like.

First up will be a long sleeved tee in a grey stripe knit. This is the base pattern with added long sleeves from which the dresses are made.  It's still winter here and quite cold for Melbourne so I think this will be a great start.

Wish me luck!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

To Market, To Market

Going to a local Makers Market next weekend - no not buying a fat pig.

I will be taking my hand knitted shawls, scarves, cowls and headbands as well as some framed embroideries, some hand beaded satin bags and a few crocheted wash cloth sets.  Oh I wil also have a couple of NCWs and two Zipper Wallets.

After the market all that didn't sell will be re-photographed and put up for sale on both my facebook page as well as on my Etsy store.

Here's hoping I don't have to take lots of photos.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Beanies, Hats and Headbands

I have just put up a short video of the beanies, hats and headbands I have on my facebook page.
Pop on over to have a look.
They are all up for sale.

Here's the link:

Monday, April 3, 2017

Name change

I have just changed the name of this blog from Joy Belle to

Crafting Joy

to align it with my facebook page of the same name.

The intentions is, once I finish coordinating, designing, sewing costumes, that I will attempt to increase traffic to both this blog and my fb page and improve sales of the items that I make. 

I feel this is a good way to go about it. 

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Start of something new

I have been thinking of setting up painting classes at home - something a bit fun for participants and pictures that won't seem too daunting.

Here is one I started today as a class sample.

Only two colours - white and brown - just splodged on the canvas so far.  It will have a variegated daisy once finished done in pink and white with a brown centre.

I have put this pic up on my FB page - hopefully it will garner some interest and I can get the classes up and running.

UPDATE: Dec 2016 - no takers in painting classes :(

Thursday, August 13, 2015

long time no see - err read - or something

In case anyone actually reads this blog - my apologies for not having anything to read for the past 10 months.  No excuses, just never got around to writing anything.

I currently have the urge to give my bedroom a make over.  Last time I tried that I got the window coverings sorted - painted the original terracotta vertical blinds a lovely shade of mottled green - and sponged more green paint onto 3/4 of the walls.  The last wall was never done as there is a lot of big furniture and 'stuff' along it - the whole length of it.

Now I am tired of green and want to go white.  So far I have made covers for the blinds and put them on.  They don't sit very well at all.  The fabric - a thick white cotton damask which I quite like - wants to buckle the blades of the blinds.  So of a night we get light in.  Not so bad most nights, but when the back neighbours leave their back light on - well let's just say I may as well have the blinds completely open.

Our bed is a mattress and base.  I have just now this minute come up with a simple idea to cover the base without having a loose valance over it.  Get a fitted sheet in the required colour/pattern, take off the mattress and put said fitted sheet on the base.  Brilliant isn't it?  Why I never thought of that before I'll never know.  All this talk about making / buying a gathered valance, making sure it stays put is now redundant.  I just have to make sure I get one that has a deep enough side wall.  Manchester Department here I come.

Friday, October 17, 2014

In the middle of some sewing

I have managed to do 2 paintings.

They are Christmas themed and copies of ones I have seen on the web.  But I still consider them originals - cause I made them.

This one I did first - starting out with the easiest - sorry about the glare in the pic.  It's not very large - only approx. 10" x 8".  It's companion piece is the same size.

Again more glare...  That's what I get for using gloss varnish.

This guy's face took me a couple of goes to get right, but I am really happy with the way he turned out.

They are both being donated to the cali clubs my girls are associated with as part of their concert raffle hampers.  With a bit of luck they won't be buried underneath a pile of other stuff.

On the sewing front - I have been making more Angel Gowns. 

The current wedding dress has revealed 30 angel gowns!  I am nearly finished with this lot.  I only have 10 more to sew up and then 14 pairs of bootees to knit.  Once that is all done, all that is left is to photograph each gown by itself and then as a group and send it all off back to the organisers.

I will be glad to see the end of this dress....

I have also managed to do a bit of crochet - a few butterflies as angel keepsakes as well as an angel done with 2 granny squares and some pipe cleaners (chenille sticks).