Saturday, August 15, 2020

Being Green

Warning ***** Possible Ick Factor Post *****


When I got dressed this morning I noticed that I was down to 2 panty liners. Drat, I knew there was something else I wanted to put on my shopping note!

For some time now I have been thinking of making re-usable panty liners. They make sense to me on an environmental point as well as a money point. The ones I have been buying have changed over recent years (or maybe my body has changed) and don't seem to hold together as well as they used to.

I had also thought of adding a couple of layers to all of my underwear instead.  That seems like a lot of work. Note that I am talking about liners - not menstrual pads as I don't need those anymore.

A quick search of the internet and I found a lot of people have tutorials on how to make these things. I had a look at some of them and decided to follow instructions from It's Not Easy To Be Green.
Hers seem to be most nice looking, professionally made item. Some of the others just cut out the shapes required and zigzagged or overlocked the pieces together. I found 1 where there was a pocket so you could add extra absorbent layers, great idea, but the open part was against your body and I wonder how that would feel. but as I said, I don't need that much absorbed.

So I went and bought some polar fleece and some soft cotton flannelette and started cutting.  I decided I would only need one layer of each of the fabrics.  I made 2 to start with, cut to the pattern size, and just zigzagged the edges of the 2 layers together.  The cutting was the hardest part - going around the curves.  I had purchased some plastic snaps and used those to hold these things to my knickers.  They work for their intended purpose but I felt they were a bit narrow.

A couple of days later I widened the pattern a bit and made more.  These I feel are much better.  I stuffed up 3 when putting the snaps on - 1 part of the snap was caught in the application tool and now the snap doesn't really hold on one liner. The other 2 I put the snap on the wrong flap.  I still wear these ones though. They wash up well and even go through the dryer.

On Refection:  After using these for a few months now I think they are ok. They do slide back during the day so I will either add an extension to one end or make more. I am surprised how I don't really notice them like I thought I would. That may be because I wear pants a lot and maybe I will notice them when I wear a dress.  Only time will tell.

If you are on the fence about this sort of product, don't be. Jump in and get yourself some.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message