Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kitchen

I mntioned in an earlier post about th hubby and the kitchen.  I would have been happy with just painting the cupboards and adding handles to the doors and putting in a new bench top.  My kitchen was built in the mid 80's and has a terracotta bench with vanilla doors.  I wanted it changed to off white doors and a grey stone look bench.  Easy to do with a lick of paint for the doors.

But hubby decided that it would be better to remove all the cupboards and put in new ones.  So that is what we are doing.  Making that decision was easy, but it means having to replace the floor and wall tiles as the new cupbaords are a different size to the old ones.  Our youngest child (YC) had an 'ah hah' moment the other day when she said "Mum, you'll have to repaint the walls too."  I told her that was the smallest part of the job.  I now have to think about what tiles I want, as well as having had to decide on door colours (the company we are using didn't have the colour I wanted) and profiles, cupboard sizes, drawers or not, etc.  We haven't even looked at a new bench top yet.  The cupboards are ordered and we have to go pick them up from a town 3 1/2 hours away in a few weeks.  The new appliances are also available for pick - they at least will sit there until they're to be installed. 

Hubby will be installing the cupboards, so I will be without a kitchen for a few weeks once he starts.  At least he can do one side at a time.  The pantry cupboards will go in first and then the rest of them (these ones are in a 'L' shape and so have to go in at once.  When people ask about meals, I tell them we have great takeaway around here.

Where is at at the moment??  Well I have the original cupboards but no tiles on the floor.  Our house is built on a concrete slab.  My kitchen floor is currently dug up concrete slab - a bit rough but not too bad I spose.  I like camping indoors!  You can see the floor under/around the dog in the pic below.  The pale grey is the slab, the darker grey is still the tile glue which isn't there anymore.

Don't you just love animals eyes when taken with a flash?
Mind you we have one dog (the ginger one in the Japan pic) who always always closes his eyes when we take a photo of him.  The only pic we have f him with his eyes open was taken by a professional pet photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message