Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mad for Mini's

Not the car - quilts of course.

Been looking at mini quilts, or doll quilts, that people in bloggersphere have been making and they have inspired me.  So much so that I have now finished 2 of them.

This first one I put together over our Xmas holiday.  I was working on a quilt and I had some left over diamonds.  In playing around with them I came up with this.....

It's tubling blocks, and i know my shading is not right, but I don't care.  It it all hand pieced and hand quilted.  The binding is machine sewn on and then hand finished off.

Then I did this one......

It took me only 1 weekend to put together (by machine) and then 2 nights to hand quilt it.  It's only my second foray into putting blocks on point.  Not sure I want to do that again.  This fabric really stretched and the sides are rahter gathered.  If I do on point settings I will have to make sure I remember to spray starch the triangles.

I have them hanging where no one me and hubby can see them - after all I am really the only one interested in them.  They are in the area to our wardbobe.

I can probably fit another 4 in here, depending on the sizes.

I have found a way to invisibly hang them too.  There's a product available for hanging pictures that uses velcro with sticky stuff on the back of it.  The idea is to peel off the cover paper to reveal the sticky stuff, stick one with the sticky side to the picture and another on the wall; and then press the two bits of velcro together.  The picture sits flat against the wall. 

Well I have sewn 1 bit of velcro the mini quilt, stuck the other bot of velcro to it, then peeled off the cover papaer to reveal the sticky side and pressed it to the wall.  With such light weight things, I doubt they will fall off the wall in a hurry.

I have 1 more mini to wad, back and quilt and then it will get added to the gallery.  I may even add the suffolk puff mini quilt I did before christmas.

Oh and something else I made so far this year - a double sized bedspread with pillow over flaps.  An elderly lady had my business card from when I did markets.   She rang whilst I was still away and asked if I would be interested in making some dolls and a quilt for her.  I thought why not - might earn me bit of extra cash.   So this is her 'quilt' using 95% of her fabrics.

I was testing it out on my queen sized bed to make sure the skirt was not too long - cat liked it.

I think she thought I had made up the bed just for her.

I was surprised by how much fabric it took to make this.  The lady gave me 22 fat 1/4's to start with.  I had to phone her to get more; she gave me 15.  And then I still had to raid my stash for the final 20 blocks.  It now sits proudly on the lady's bed, fits well I think too.  The skirt is perhaps a hem too long - but she's happy.  Now I wait for her phone call about the dolls she wanted.  I have seen the patterns - nothing too troubling to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message